Loudspeaker Technology

Help regarding earthed vs. unearthed mains supply

Threads [ Previous | Next ]
Toggle

Hi,

Im planning to purchase a pair of Genelec 8020D.

In my room I have older mains supplies (not earthed).

The manual says "Never connect the loudspeaker to an unearthed mains supply or using an unearthed mains cable."  

What consequenses will it have to connect the speakers to unearthed mains?

Thanks in advance / Joel

RE: Help regarding earthed vs. unearthed mains supply
Answer
7/30/18 9:57 AM as a reply to fleksnes.
ilkka-rissanen:
Hi,

During normal use, the EMC performance of the product can be weakened by not using a grounded outlet. In the case of the analogue products like 8020B, there is no RF radiated from the product, so only the RF immunity would be affected. This means that, for example, cell phone interference might be louder.

Without the safety ground connection there will be no possibility of audible ground loop problems caused by other equipment in the system with (badly designed) common signal/safety grounding. Note that there are safe ways of removing ground loops cheaply too!

The very serious problem is that the product safety is compromised. The insulation inside the product is designed for a safety grounded chassis, and so the safety depends on safety ground. In the unlikely event of a fault condition, the chassis could become live and dangerous. The product has not been tested for safety without the safety ground connection. We cannot take responsibility for any damage to human life or the product if it is used without a safety ground connection.

Best regards,

Hello,

Here you can find quote from my colleague above.

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Support Team

Answer
8/8/18 8:20 AM as a reply to jani-oksanen.

jani-oksanen:
ilkka-rissanen:
Hi,

During normal use, the EMC performance of the product can be weakened by not using a grounded outlet. In the case of the analogue products like 8020B, there is no RF radiated from the product, so only the RF immunity would be affected. This means that, for example, cell phone interference might be louder.

Without the safety ground connection there will be no possibility of audible ground loop problems caused by other equipment in the system with (badly designed) common signal/safety grounding. Note that there are safe ways of removing ground loops cheaply too!

The very serious problem is that the product safety is compromised. The insulation inside the product is designed for a safety grounded chassis, and so the safety depends on safety ground. In the unlikely event of a fault condition, the chassis could become live and dangerous. The product has not been tested for safety without the safety ground connection. We cannot take responsibility for any damage to human life or the product if it is used without a safety ground connection.

Best regards,

Hello,

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Support Team

Hello,

Thank you.

Does this apply to Genelec 8010 as well? Or can I use that speaker in a unearthed outlet?

Regards
Joel

Answer
8/8/18 9:30 AM as a reply to fleksnes.
fleksnes:

jani-oksanen:
ilkka-rissanen:
Hi,

Best regards,

Hello,

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Support Team

Hello,

Thank you.

Does this apply to Genelec 8010 as well? Or can I use that speaker in a unearthed outlet?

Regards
Joel

Hi Joel,

8010A is Class II device, which mean it can be connected to earthed, and to unearthed outlet. You can find more information of different appliance classes from link below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Support Team

Answer
8/8/18 2:14 PM as a reply to jani-oksanen.
jani-oksanen:
fleksnes:

jani-oksanen:
ilkka-rissanen:
Hi,

Best regards,

Hello,

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Support Team

Hello,

Thank you.

Regards
Joel

Hi Joel,

8010A is Class II device, which mean it can be connected to earthed, and to unearthed outlet. You can find more information of different appliance classes from link below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appliance_classes

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Customer Support Team

Thank you Jani.

That information made my decision much easier. I'll go for the 8010's.

Regards
Joel