Message Boards

8351 - Mixing - Loss of sharpness and details at greater distance

MJ
Matthew John, modified 10 Months ago.

8351 - Mixing - Loss of sharpness and details at greater distance

Youngling Posts: 11 Join Date: 6/12/18 Recent Posts

Hello,

i own a pair of 8351. I have a well treated room. Reverb Time is really low. No reflections.

At smaller listening distance (0,9 - 1,4 meter) i have the impression to hear more details with my 8351. Clearer reverb tails for example. Everthing seems to have more depth.

The problem is, that i get a frequency null / dip between 120 and 150 hz at smaller listening distance. 

At a speaker distance of 2 meter the treatment does its job and everthing is gets really flat.

But i have the feeling that all detail and sharpness is going away at such a distance.

How far can the 8351 work without making any compromises? Can it be that it loses details at higher distance? 

Thanks

Matthew

LS
luke ster, modified 9 Months ago.

RE: 8351 - Mixing - Loss of sharpness and details at greater distance

Jedi Knight Posts: 121 Join Date: 4/22/10 Recent Posts

i'm pretty sure everything you experience comes from the room and speaker placement.

you say reverb time is really low. but it should be low or constant across all frequencies. and that is very, very hard to do.

the improvement you feel at 2 m could come frome the listening position getting closer to back wall, here you have more bass buildup which you might like, even if it's not a 100% accurate repruduction.

I have 8351s amongst a few other and can't attest to unusual behaviour at higher distances.

quite certain it's the interaction with your room.

MJ
Matthew John, modified 9 Months ago.

Youngling Posts: 11 Join Date: 6/12/18 Recent Posts
lukester:

i'm pretty sure everything you experience comes from the room and speaker placement.

you say reverb time is really low. but it should be low or constant across all frequencies. and that is very, very hard to do.

the improvement you feel at 2 m could come frome the listening position getting closer to back wall, here you have more bass buildup which you might like, even if it's not a 100% accurate repruduction.

I have 8351s amongst a few other and can't attest to unusual behaviour at higher distances.

Sorry. There are some misinterpretations of what i wrote. But i guess that my English is just not good enough... ;-)

To make it more clearly let´s assume an anechoic chamber

In an anechoic chamber,

do I here more detail at a shorter listening distance or not? 

What changes with increasing the distance to the source? (still in an anechoic chamber)

That´s all i want to know. 

Thanks again

Matthew

LS
luke ster, modified 9 Months ago.

Jedi Knight Posts: 121 Join Date: 4/22/10 Recent Posts

in an anechoic chamber the sound character is not dependend on distance.

Intensity/volume decreases with distance squared.

your speakers have an acoustic axis, you'll find a directivity plot in the manual.

but look at this too:

https://www.hunecke.de/en/calculators/loudspeakers.html

TT
Tim Tom, modified 9 Months ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 8/27/18 Recent Posts
matthew:
lukester:

Sorry. There are some misinterpretations of what i wrote. But i guess that my English is just not good enough... ;-)

To make it more clearly let´s assume an anechoic chamber

In an anechoic chamber,

do I here more detail at a shorter listening distance or not? 

What changes with increasing the distance to the source? (still in an anechoic chamber)

That´s all i want to know. 

Thanks again

Matthew

Hey man,

in anechoic chamber there will probably not that much difference as in real life rooms. I don´t know as i never been in one.

But generally it is completely normal that you hear / feel different things at different distances. Even in a Reflection Free Zone as you describe. There are still left reflections from floor and desk involved that change with changing distance.

You will probably concentrate on single elements in songs while listening. And of course they become a lot bigger as you move away from the speakers - everything becomes bigger. And maybe exactly this is not your cup of tea. Between 1500 and 1800 mm is ok for me personally. I don´t like it above and i do not like it below. Actually i have them at 1700 mm. It is my perfect distance.

If you really don´t feel good with the big distance - try to get rid of the things that make the frequency worse at the position you prefer. There are not much things that can´t be treated.

cheers

Nigel