Message Boards

Dolby ATMOS / DTS:X upgrade with SAM's and number of ceiling speakers.

tonipetteri, modified 8 Months ago.

Dolby ATMOS / DTS:X upgrade with SAM's and number of ceiling speakers.

Youngling Posts: 10 Join Date: 5/1/14 Recent Posts

Hi,

I currently have 2 X 7270A subs with 3 X 8260 (Fronts) and 2 X 8250 (Rears), in a 5.1 hometheatre setup. Been very happy with them for 5 years now - and probably will be for years to come.

Recently more and more Dolby ATMOS and DTS:X content is coming up from Blu Ray releases and services such a s Netflix etc. So  Im considering to add additional ceiling speakers to my home theatre, since the AVR is ATMOS and DTS:X capable with XLR preouts.

However, setting-up four (!) ceiling speakers, that are on par with the rears (8250's), feels like overkill in 5mX3mX2.5m(h) sized room with a single row of seats.

For you who are playing around with the latest surround formats and Genelec speakers, I would have couple of questions:

1) No. of speakers; Whats is your experience with the latest surround format, do you think there would be significant advantage in 4 vs. 2 ceiling speakers in a single row theatre such as mine ?

2) Type of speakers; The most logical solution would be additional pair of SAM monitors in the ceiling - and pair of used 8250 would go fine. But since they are not in prouction anymore... what are reasonable speaker options for the height channel? (In-ceiling models excluded).

Thanks,

-Toni

manutal, modified 8 Months ago.

RE: Dolby ATMOS / DTS:X upgrade with SAM's and number of ceiling speakers.

Jedi Knight Posts: 180 Join Date: 4/25/14 Recent Posts

Hello!

1: I would go with 4 ceiling speakers or two pairs. One a little bit in front of your listening position and one a little bit behind aimed at the listening position.

2: You should go with SAMs ofc :) 8330/8340 will for sure be enough or maybe 8331 8341.