Message Boards

Need setup and equipment recommendations

steven16, modified 7 Months ago.

Need setup and equipment recommendations

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 11/26/18 Recent Posts

Hi everyone,

I'm going to buy a pair of 8331. 60% for music, 30% for movie, maybe 10% for wireless stream content.  Most of the source come from a dedicated computer, an intel NUC computer running Windows10. I have several questions on the setup and need your comments.

The first question is what equipment and cable you recommend to connect the computer to the 8331?  I heard NuPrime DAC-9 is a very good integraded DAC+preamplifier. So I can connect the computer >> DAC-9 >> 8331.  Does the NuPrime DAC-9 match 8331? Or any better options?  Between computer and DAC, it's better to use USB or S/PDIF or bluetooth or wifi to connect ? Between DAC and 8331, I suppose that using XLR is better than RCA, right? Is it possible to connect the computer to the 8331 via gears as few as possible?

As to the room, it's 5m* 3.5m* 2.8m(tall) .  There're some furnitures in one end, so it left 4.5* 3.5 room to put the gears. Do you suggest I put the screen on the 3.5m wall or the 4.5(5m) wall ? Any layout recommendation? And it would be great to keep the sound within the room and not spread to outside, what acoustic material or panel and insulating glass I should look for to attach to the wall / door / window?

Your comments are very welcomed :)  Very appreciated. :)
lukester, modified 7 Months ago.

RE: Need setup and equipment recommendations

Jedi Knight Posts: 128 Join Date: 4/22/10 Recent Posts

hmm,

the DAC is kinda pointless. the speakers are digital, you'll want to hit them with a digital signal, either AES or normal (adat?) digital if the cable run is short.

Genelec sells a volume remote.

And yes, screen/TV on the short wall, speakers firing along the longer side of the room.

Insulating sound is very, very hard, don't even try. you can use some absorbers reduce reflections in the room, get somewhat clearer sond in the listening position.

the speakers are a bit smallish for your setup. 8351 would be preferable.

steven16, modified 7 Months ago.

Youngling Posts: 2 Join Date: 11/26/18 Recent Posts

Thank you Luke, glad to know that no need to buy a DAC . :)    As the dedicated computer doesn't have AES/EBU or ADAT output, then how to get the AES output?   e.g. an external sound card  or ? 

As to the 5m (16feet) * 3.5m (11feet) room, I am already very happy with 8331 :)

lukester, modified 7 Months ago.

Jedi Knight Posts: 128 Join Date: 4/22/10 Recent Posts

Yep, external soundcard.

you can try adat, will give you cheaper options that AES. should work for short distances.

if it doesn't you can get transformers:

https://www.neutrik.com/en/product/naditbnc-m