Message Boards

Speakers for a dedicated home theater?

theo, modified 1 Year ago.

Speakers for a dedicated home theater?

Youngling Posts: 9 Join Date: 9/19/17 Recent Posts

Hello,

I am about to choose the speakers for my new dedicated home theater. The room size is 7m x 4.90m x 2.85 m. and is conditioned - 7cm thick heavy rockwool is mounted on all vertical walls. Finally the Rockwool is covered by perforated mdf diffusion plates. The ceiling has similar construction, the floor is wooden, not yet covered. Subjectively the room is not reverberant, but not deaf as well. The main listening distance to the front speakers is about 3.5 - 4m.   I am considering between several speakers, Genelec being among my very top choices, trying to decide between 1238 / 1237 / 8260 / 8251 . The final installation should be capable of very high quality stereo listening and 3d immersive formats, including Auro 3d.

May I ask what would be your suggestion for the speaker setup? 

Best,

Theo

markus-kahelin, modified 1 Year ago.

RE: Speakers for a dedicated home theater? (Answer)

Jedi Knight Posts: 108 Join Date: 3/16/10 Recent Posts

Hi Theo!

Based on the dimensions and listening distance, our system specification would be 1238 as the main speakers. The system should be installed flush to the front wall for best accuracy and performance, requiring the wall construction to have 30 degree angles for the left and right speaker to enable 60 degree stereo pair configuration.

Best Regards, Markus

Genelec Support Team

RE: Speakers for a dedicated home theater?

Hello Marcus,

thank you for he quick reply. From your answer I conclude that 1238 flushed (nice construction work coming ahead :-) would suit best for stereo. Then the next thing to consider would be the matching surround/back/top speakers? In total I am thinking of 7.2.4 Dolby Artmos setup with added Front L/R Height and Surround L/R Height speakers for Auro3d 13.2 configuration. Will 8260 and 8351 be suitable?

For the top speakers, would the smaller 8331/8341 work? Will timbre matching be a problem?

I would just mention, that in Bulgaria currently available for audition is a pair of 1038B only, so I cannot make a real life pre-purchase listening to the targeted newer SAM models.

Best Regards,

Theo

stefan75, modified 1 Year ago.

Youngling Posts: 16 Join Date: 3/18/17 Recent Posts

My room is quite similar with 8x4x3m. Over 10 years I've been using a classic 5.1 setup with 1038A mains, a 1038AC center and 1037B rears. Just recently I added two 7071A subs (replacing the toy subs I had before). I'm very happy with these speakers, the only thing I'd change is: replace the special 1038AC with a standard 1038A.

One of the problems of our room shapes is the limited width. You'll have to decide if you want a wide sound field (8m) but with limited sitting options/rows or a narrow one where the main speaker will be in the corners (and sides close to your ears).

Can't help you with the 8000 series, never had a chance to test them.

Hi Stean75,

thanks for the post. Are you happy with the performance of your new subs?  Do they match well 1038s?

Best,

Theo

gl3678890, modified 9 Months ago.

Padawan Posts: 46 Join Date: 9/11/18 Recent Posts
theo:

Hello,

I am about to choose the speakers for my new dedicated home theater. The room size is 7m x 4.90m x 2.85 m. and is conditioned - 7cm thick heavy rockwool is mounted on all vertical walls. Finally the Rockwool is covered by perforated mdf diffusion plates. The ceiling has similar construction, the floor is wooden, not yet covered. Subjectively the room is not reverberant, but not deaf as well. The main listening distance to the front speakers is about 3.5 - 4m.   I am considering between several speakers, Genelec being among my very top choices, trying to decide between 1238 / 1237 / 8260 / 8251 . The final installation should be capable of very high quality stereo listening and 3d immersive formats, including Auro 3d.

May I ask what would be your suggestion for the speaker setup? 

Best,

Theo

Theo,

I am in the same situation with you. Curious what did you choose at last?

theo, modified 8 Months ago.

Hi, I decided to go for the following:

LCR - 1238A (an option is 1238DF as there anyway be subs to cover the bottom)

HL,HC, HR (height front speakers) - 1238DF

Surround L, R, Height Surround L, R - 8351

Back L, R - 8351

Top - 4 x 8341 (or 8351, still not finalized)

Subwoofers - 2x7380 plus 2x7380 (positioned at 25% width from the corners at the front and back walls). I think these can also be 4x7370.

Additional devices - 8x active bass traps in the room corners.

Treatment - extensive treatment with porous absorbers. Together with the active bass traps, subwoofer placement and SAM corrections the room modes were effectively eliminated at the listening positions from 20Hz up.  The room is still not completely ready, but the result so far is fantastic.

Regards,

Theo

manutal, modified 8 Months ago.

Jedi Knight Posts: 172 Join Date: 4/25/14 Recent Posts

Nice setup! :)

What kind of preamp do you have?

Go for the 7380A's, believe you me :) (if you already havent)

theo, modified 8 Months ago.

Sorry for the late answer.

The preamp is not finally decided yet. Will try to go with Denon or Marants, but my wish is to go all the way digital to the speakers, which leaves only Trinnov Altitude 32 as the only option.

Regarding the Subs. So far I have in my posession 2x7380 and 2x7370. Thinking to change 7370s for 7380, but even now the SPls can be brutal if needed.