Message Boards

8330 vs M040 (home music production)

ati, modified 3 Years ago.

8330 vs M040 (home music production)

Youngling Posts: 4 Join Date: 7/31/17 Recent Posts

Hey,

I'm an aspiring electronic music producer (multiple genres ranging from EDM to hiphop and trap) and I'm looking to upgrade my M030 monitors. I've been actually very happy with these monitors but since monitoring is the most important aspect of a (home) studio, I figured I would like to make an upgrade to get my mixes even slightly better.

I have a fairly big 25mroom and a pair of good monitor floor stands (Millenium BS-1100). What I'm looking for is a slightly better low end response and a pair of reliable monitors that enable me to get professional sounding results (and enable me to build my skills for the next years to come). I don't have any acoustic treatment in my room. I'm open to the idea of wall panels but heavy corner bass traps won't be possible in my circumstances.

This is why I believe a 5" or 6,5" woofer would be sufficient for my needs. After some research into different Genelec monitors, I'm most interested in 8330 (with GLM) and M040.

My question to you experts now is that which of these models would you recommend for my situation and what is the difference in low end response and general quality between 8330 and M040?

Thank you!

jani-oksanen, modified 3 Years ago.

RE: 8330 vs M040 (home music production)

Jedi Master Posts: 431 Join Date: 3/30/17 Recent Posts

Hi, and sorry for late reply!

For that size of room I would even look at the bigger models, and SAM-series to have most advantaged technology and improvement to your current system.
I would recommend 8341,8351, 8340,8350 or even 8260/1237/1238 to your room. But if the listening distance is not long, and the budget is tight 8331 or 8330 would be good option also.

Most difference in M-series and SAM-series is that you can get more accurated calibration compared to the switches on M-series. In SAM-series even if the monitor has bigger woofer such as 8" or 10", it doesn't compromise the sound as the GLM calibration will calibrate it to have flat frequency response. Of course, the better the room acoustics, the better overall result, but GLM does huge improvements to the sound with the calibration.

You can read more information about the GLM from link below:
https://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors/glm-2-software

And I recommend you to contact your local distributor or dealer to discuss the final choose that would be best for you. You can find our distributor or dealer from link below: https://www.genelec.com/where-buy

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Factory Service Team

Hi,

Thanks for reply. I was perhaps not very clear with my first message, but I do have the constraints of relatively small budget and living in an appartment building / having to compose and mix in regular living rooms or bedrooms (even though my room at the moment is quite big, I may not have that luxury in the near future). Therefore I have narrowed my options to the small and flexible but professional models: 8330, 8030 or M040 (I indeed currently own M030) -> 8340 or 8331 would probably be awesome but they are outside of my budget.

I will go listen these models as I will make the purchase soon. But I would appreciate if someone from Genelec could provide a brief analysis between these models specifically. And an opinion about which one is the best invesment for your typical bedroom hobbyist producer.

Thanks a lot!

Perhaps the million dollar question here is that while the M040 and 8330 are both highly rated monitors (and seem to have similar bass performance according to specs), which factor gives the best results in completely untreated normal rooms - the special downward facing port of the M-series design or GLM software room correction?
jani-oksanen, modified 3 Years ago.

Jedi Master Posts: 431 Join Date: 3/30/17 Recent Posts

Hi Ati,

You can calibrate 8330A monitors with GLM software, which will lead to better frequency response than using M040A calibration switches in untreated room. Genelec have designed reflex ports in 8330 and M040 that way they doesn't produce hearable noise to the listening position.

In this matter, if you want to have most out of the monitors and accurate calibration I would recommend you 8330A or our other SAM-products.

You can read more about our reflex port design from link below:
https://www.genelec.com/key-technologies/reflex-port-design

You can read more about SAMâ„¢ -technolocy from link below:
https://www.genelec.com/studio-monitors/sam-master-studio-monitors

Best Regards,
Jani Oksanen
Factory Service Team

Thanks Jani,

I will wait for the IBC 2017 product announcements and then make the purchase. I already got a pretty good deal for a pair of 8330 + GLM kit :)