Message Boards

8351 - analog vs. digital, difference in sound qual? Best usb audio interf?

soundman23, modified 2 Years ago.

8351 - analog vs. digital, difference in sound qual? Best usb audio interf?

Youngling Posts: 1 Join Date: 3/16/18 Recent Posts

I just purchased pair of Genelec 8351s and my main use will be Ableton Live and Djay Pro softwares on MacBook Air + MacBook Pro 17". I've been trying to figure it which USB audio interface would be the best for my needs - RME Babyface Pro ( http://babyface.rme-audio.de/ ) seems to have everything what I would like to have, except AES/EBU connection. It does have S/PDIF I/O and ADAT I/O though. I found at least one USB audio interface in this price range called Yellowtec PUC2 ( https://www.yellowtec.com/puc2.html ) which has AES/EBU connection, but it lacks quite a few other things what Babyface Pro has. I've done a lot of research on this subject of analog vs. digital, but not really got the clear answer - is it really the case that digital connection will give me much better sound quality than the analog connection? Is it super important to use the AES/EBU connection instead of analog XLR as I've already spent quite a lot on my sound gear? What about using Babyface Pro's  S/PDIF connection through some converter, would I get more or less the same quality as AES/EBU connection with that? Am I totally missing the true pontetial of the mighty 8351s if I would use the analog connection instead of the digital one? How important is the quality of the cables, is that more important than digital vs. analog aspect?

Thank you so much for all your help! :)

daiyama, modified 2 Years ago.

RE: 8351 - analog vs. digital, difference in sound qual? Best usb audio int

Padawan Posts: 68 Join Date: 1/4/16 Recent Posts

If you would miss a lot Genelec probably would not have given the 8351 an analog input. ;-)

So I think you will not miss the true potential of the 8351. The true potential is its 3 way coax design in combination with the wave guide and the GLM calibration software. All these advantages you will have also with analog input and personnaly I do not worry about cables at all but others swear that expensive cables are better than cheap ones.