Genelec Community Forum has been archived

Thank you for all the years of Community discussions and activity!

The time has come for us to retire the community forums, but we will keep everything available for reading. There is a lot of valuable content written over the years, and you'll be able to access all of that. However, no new posts can be written, or old posts modified.

If you have questions, we recommend you use the Support function on the bottom right corner to contact our Customer Support directly.

Alternatively, if you wish to engage in a community discussion with other people, there are many active forums available. There is also an active, fan managed GENELEC COMMUNITY in Facebook, and many Genelec employees are active in the discussions there.

We are sorry for any possible inconvenience this may cause you, but we hope to hear from you through the other channels mentioned above.

Genelec Support

Message Boards

Switching from analog to AES/EBU – advise is needed

clearsignal, modified 4 Years ago.

Switching from analog to AES/EBU – advise is needed

Padawan Posts: 50 Join Date: 3/2/18 Recent Posts

My setup = 8431 x 2 + 7360, driven analogy by Astell&Kern sp1000

In addition to a blanaced output, the digital audio player (sp1000) has an optical port (S/P-DIF)

Here is a quote from Genelec website:

“The SAM Systems digital inputs have be designed for AES/EBU signals. S/P-DIF and AES 3-id signals may be used but the cable length from the audio source to the monitor must be short, preferably less than 2 meters, and the use of an impedance converter is recommended. The impedance converter allows the 75-ohm S/P-DIF source to work properly with a 110-ohm AES/EBU receiver.”

1. Given the addition of such convertor to my system, I assume switching to AES/EBU is possible. Will that yield a perceptible upgrade in SQ? The quality of my system is phenomenal as it is, but it’s always nice to squeeze a bit more J (the cable won’t exceed 0.5m)
  2. Can anyone recommend a said converter or converters? I’d like to make sure I’m getting the correct product.

Thanks all!

klassikmann, modified 4 Years ago.

RE: Switching from analog to AES/EBU – advise is needed

Youngling Posts: 24 Join Date: 4/6/17 Recent Posts
clearsignal:

1. Given the addition of such convertor to my system, I assume switching to AES/EBU is possible. Will that yield a perceptible upgrade in SQ? The quality of my system is phenomenal as it is, but it’s always nice to squeeze a bit more J (the cable won’t exceed 0.5m)
  2. Can anyone recommend a said converter or converters? I’d like to make sure I’m getting the correct product.

ad 2:
I'm using the CASA-T by "Funk Tonstudiotechnik" in Berlin (Website & documentation in German).
Description: http://www.funk-tonstudiotechnik.de/CASA-T-Adapterkabel.pdf
Documentation: http://www.funk-tonstudiotechnik.de/CASA-T-Adapterkabel.pdf
Pricelist: http://www.funk-tonstudiotechnik.de/preise.htm

Thanks Herr Klass...

The Casa-T seems a passive "regulator" bumping up from 75 ohm signal to 110 ohm (SP-DIF vs AES). But accordign to my reading, the difference between the two formats is a bit deeper; on the subframe level. I'm impressed that the CASA-T works out the box!! To which Genelec product do you connect it and what is your source?

BTW, I was thinking something like  "Hosa ODL-312 Optical SPDIF and AESEBU Digital Format Converter"

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ODL312--hosa-odl312

Lastly, is there any difference in sound digital and analog? 

Let me explain my full setup:

• Three Sources:
    • Raspberry Pi + HifiBerry Digi+ with RuneAudio (main source)
    • CambridgeAudio CXC CD transport
    • SAT TV receiver for German public digital radio
  • All sources connected via TosLink (cables by "Funk Studiotechnik") to LINDY 70416 (4 Port Optical Audio Switch, capable of sample frequency: up to 192kHz!)
  • Next step: Lindy 70411V2 (Coaxial/TosLink Audio Converter & Repeater, also capable of 192kHz)
  • Last step: CASA-T (also capable of 24/192) connected digitally to Genelec 8351

I never used the analog input of the 8351.

Remark: I also considered the "Hosa ODL312", but this part supports 24/96 only.

What's the rationale behind my decisions? I want to avoid unnecessary online sample rate and/or A/D conversions. The 8351 input is converting to 96kHz for the tweeter and to 48kHz to midrange and woofer. To avoid as far as possible the digital input conversion I'm offline resampling (XiSRC) on my main source (RuneAudio) the ripped SACDs to 24/96 (not 24/88!) and ripped CDs to (24/48).

Additional Questions?
Herbert (klassikmann)

klassikmann:

Let me explain my full setup:

• Three Sources:
    • Raspberry Pi + HifiBerry Digi+ with RuneAudio (main source)
    • CambridgeAudio CXC CD transport
    • SAT TV receiver for German public digital radio
  • All sources connected via TosLink (cables by "Funk Studiotechnik") to LINDY 70416 (4 Port Optical Audio Switch, capable of sample frequency: up to 192kHz!)
  • Next step: Lindy 70411V2 (Coaxial/TosLink Audio Converter & Repeater, also capable of 192kHz)
  • Last step: CASA-T (also capable of 24/192) connected digitally to Genelec 8351

I never used the analog input of the 8351.

Remark: I also considered the "Hosa ODL312", but this part supports 24/96 only.

What's the rationale behind my decisions? I want to avoid unnecessary online sample rate and/or A/D conversions. The 8351 input is converting to 96kHz for the tweeter and to 48kHz to midrange and woofer. To avoid as far as possible the digital input conversion I'm offline resampling (XiSRC) on my main source (RuneAudio) the ripped SACDs to 24/96 (not 24/88!) and ripped CDs to (24/48).

Additional Questions?
Herbert (klassikmann)

A very impressive and intelligent setup, Herbert! The rationale behind it is overwhelmingly convincing.

My setup is a pair of 8341 + a 7360 subwoofer. My source is simple: an Astell&Kern sp1000 DAP with an S/PDIF optical output. https://us.astellnkern.com/collections/portables/products/a-ultima-sp1000

This is what Astell&Kern says about the digital stream:

“At S/PDIF OUT, the DSD format is converted to PCM and played back. PCM can select output bit rate (16/24bit) and sample rate (48/96/192kHz).”

If may pick your brain: how would you digitally connect the sp1000 to the 7360 subwoofer? Namely, what conversion product/s would you use?

I intend to come out of the DAP with 3.5mm optical to TOSLINK: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/966678-REG/audioquest_optfor0_75m_0_75m_optilink_forest_cable.html

Thanks!

clearsignal:
My setup is a pair of 8341 + a 7360 subwoofer. My source is simple: an Astell&Kern sp1000 DAP with an S/PDIF optical output. https://us.astellnkern.com/collections/portables/products/a-ultima-sp1000

This is what Astell&Kern says about the digital stream:

“At S/PDIF OUT, the DSD format is converted to PCM and played back. PCM can select output bit rate (16/24bit) and sample rate (48/96/192kHz).”

If may pick your brain: how would you digitally connect the sp1000 to the 7360 subwoofer? Namely, what conversion product/s would you use?

I intend to come out of the DAP with 3.5mm optical to TOSLINK: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/966678-REG/audioquest_optfor0_75m_0_75m_optilink_forest_cable.html

> Astell&Kern sp1000 DAP
Very impressive device!

To your question: "how would you digitally connect the sp1000 to the 7360 subwoofer?"
My answer: Not at all!

In the explanation of my setup (2 * 8351) I described the signal path, only. The control path is provided by GLM3 for calibrating the two 8351.
If you plan to use the 7360 as a subwoofer to enhance the bass capabilities of your 8341 in reproducing stereo input material, even 2.0 DSD, than I recommend to configure that setup with GLM also. Please have a look into the GLM system operating manual on page 11 ("Cabling for Audio Signals, Digital Audio, Stereo with a Subwoofer Example"):

Connect the following XLR digital audio cables:

• from the AES/EBU output of the audio source to the subwoofer DIGITAL IN input connector
  • from the subwoofer DIGITAL OUT to the right monitor DIGITAL IN
  • from the right monitor DIGITAL OUT to left monitor DIGITAL IN

The GLM group settings are described on Table 4 (page 42).

The control path is similar, see the 7300 series operating manual on page 3 for the GLM network cabling.

(I hope I understood your questions correctly)

Herbert (klassikmann)

Yes, Herbert, absolutely clear.

In fact, I owe the GLM kit. A little magician, is it not? J…And the connector arrangement you lay out is quite clear as well, as far as daisy-chaining the AES/EUB cables goes. Incidentally, at the moment I run a similar setup, albeit with analog cables.

Still, for me to switch to the digital realm, I have to convert the S/PDIF signal to AES/EUB first. But you actually gave my lead, thank you very much! The Lindy convertor. All I need is to feed it from my DAP via a 3.5mm to TOSLINK cable. https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/966678-REG/audioquest_optfor0_75m_0_75m_optilink_forest_cable.html

Next, I will get a CASA-T from Funk, which bumps the impedance from 75 to 110.

Case closed!!

Thank you verty much. You’ve been a great and most helpful chap. Cheers!

Thank you for your kind words.

In fact, I owe the GLM kit. A little magician, is it not?
In fact, the GLM kit was my final decision maker last year in buying Genelec technology.